I"M BACK
This is the day before Easter 2008! I got up at 4am to go into work and it was like a winter wonderland. The snowplows had not been out and there must have been 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground (Sally says 6) and it was incredible. I never get over the beauty of it. Sally thinks I'm totally out of my mind and thinks that by next winter I will be over it. I tried to take photos of it early when I left for work but it was way too dark and the snowflakes were illumited by the flash. It looks like a very starry night. I will attach them also, in order to give you a better feeling for it. Luckily by the time I got done working and we were ready to head to Pat's house in PA for the holiday, the roads were completely bare and the drive was an easy one. The photo above was taken just as we were backing out of my driveway for the trip. What a beautiful day it turned out to be especially after the white knuckle drive to work that morning. Bottom of my driveway 5:30 am and Driving into the parking lot at work?
By the time I had my first break at 8am it had cleared up enough to take some more photos. This tree between the buildings was like nature's own wind chime. The branches of the tree were snow covered and frozen and it was quite windy. When the wind hit the branches of the tree the sounds it made were as pretty as any wind chime I have ever heard. It was a sound I find difficult to describe. Almost like the hollowed out wooden chimes you can purchase. You really have to stop in the moment, take a deep breath and appreciate the beauty of life. Is this a lesson we learn only as we become older? I hope not. I would like to think I have always carried this appreciation for life. I like to imagine that I have and always will look for the beauty in nature.

Looking out across the parking lot the stand of trees was snowcovered and looking like winter wonderland. Like living in your own snow globe.
Family gatherings have always been a loud, happy, everyone talking at once type of affair for us. By the time the day is over, you are more than anxious to get home to peace and quiet again, and already looking forward to the next gathering. It has always been and seems like will continue to be the case that in our family, you have to be able to carry on several separate conversations with several different people all at the same time. Is this the case in all larger families?? I may be a little crazy but have always rather enjoyed this aspect of our gatherings. Everybody talks to everyone else and usually all at the same time. We are a boisterous group. I always feel a little bit sorry for newcomers, but they usually end up fitting right in. As with most holidays, there was too much food and way too much dessert. Along with the usual fare of ham, scalloped potatoes, beans, pretzel salad, a new rendition of cole slaw (from our latest newlywed Paige), and various relishes, there was an abundance of dessert including carrot cake, cheese cake, and Pat's apple pie (one also made with splenda especially for Paige).
On a sadder note, I would like add a tribute to the loved ones we lost recently. Our firstborn third generation in Nancy's family (Joyce's son) 23 year old Charlie was lost in a tragic automobile accident on November 17th. He was way too young when he was called home.
We also lost the last of the original Aunts, Aunt Lois (Thom's mother). How happy I was to be able to visit with her for a while the night she passed away peacefully in her sleep. She was in the same high spirit as always being sure to poke fun of me and keeping me in my place. And always with a smile on her face. She is the last of her generation and will be greatly missed.
I also lost a huge part of the family, when the valley fever took my dear beloved Zoe. I don't know how I will carry on without her. It just isn't the same and there will never be another like her. She was a great joy in my life and it will be some time before I get over her death. I'm thankful every day I look at her portrait painted by Thom's friend Cheri. They will all live on in our memories and in our hearts.Well, as usual I have gone on way too much and babbled on too long. Guess that's what happens when you don't do this blogging thing regularly. I have said it before and I'll say it again. Hopefully it won't be too long before the next one. Here I've sat up half the night doing this and I promised Sally I would come over and paint her upstairs office tomorrow. Good night and love







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home