GraniFrani

A LITTLE SELF INDULGENCE TO SOOTH MY EGO

Thursday, June 15, 2006

You can see by the date that once again I began this post long ago (today is July 3rd) and never got back to it. Does this mean I really do have a life after all?, or am I just busy doing other things. I believe I'm busy doing other things. Like getting the house ready to put on the market and cleaning up some of my clutter to skinny the place up a little. Would be that it were that easy. To skinny up, that is. I've packed a few boxes and I do mean few. I've given away bags of clothes and books and other stuff that I've accumulated throughout the years. I've thrown stuff out that should have been thrown out long ago, went through papers that have been lying around forever, and packed up all my music, stereo, video, cd, equipment etc. I've packed my (lots of them) cookbooks, although I never cook anymore, and kitchen utensils that I haven't used in a while, but am sure that one day I might. And most important, I've been trying to nurse Zoe back to health, which is my number one priority at the moment. I came back from my trip and noticed that she was losing weight, almost 20 lbs., and acting a little lethargic, which at first I didn't really notice because she usually wears herself out playing with her brother when I go away. I finally came to my senses and took her to the vet's to check it out and after some expensive tests find that she has "Valley Fever" (a disease only found in the desert southwest) caused by a fugus or spore in the dirt that blows around and either you build up an immunity to it or succumb. I knew a guy once who had to doctor for it and have heard of a few canines that have had it. She is one sick puppy, as she registered with a very strong positive and is now on medication (fluconozol 2X a day) and she's retaining water around her neck and chest, which I'm also administering amoxocillin 2X a day also. So far she has outsmarted me and discovered the medication each time eventually, even though I've tried to disguise it in cheese, tiny bits of chocolate muffin,(which I am told is a no...no) and the latest, hot dogs. She just managed to detect it tonight in the hot dogs and I had to laugh as she gobbled the hot dog bits and managed to spit the pill out on the floor looking at me like I'm very stupid for even trying. Maybe hamburger next. I can't bring myself to flick it down her throat because I feel with the swelling it must be very uncomfortable for her. I hate her not feeling well and I hate that she can't tell me how she's feeling. And with the vet, it's one big guessing game which I also hate. He does not know why she has the water retention along with a slight fever and has taken quite a few samples by needle, which she and I did not like at all along with the temperature thing. Her blood work which he took twice again shows a low protein level and I'm praying is not a sign of some kind of kidney disease. Unless she gets worse I will be taking her back when she finishes the antibiotic and hopefully the swelling and fever will be under control. So far I have not noticed. She would eat 24/7 if I let her and seems to be drinking plenty of water and eliminating normally. Put in a good word for her next time you talk to the big guy.

This seems unusually long, but probably because so much is happening. I did want to share some photos of Pat's "Angel Food" project as Sally and I participated and helped out the weekend I was home. It is quite a process, but I must say they (Pat and Bunny) seem to have it all under control and they seemed to have plenty of help the weekend I was there. Sally has now decided that she wants to participate every month and I feel good about that.

Pat's husband Ed on the right and son Eric in red, take a truck and pick up the food very early in the morning. About 4:30 am. Jessie (Bunny's daughter) usually goes with them if they can get her up, which I guess they usually do. They bring the truck to the church and we off-load it down the ramp to the church basement, photo below, and stack it around the room, behind the tables, according to the menu. First we lay down drop clothes in order to keep the new floor clean.
















Then we take our places and wait for the participants to show up and help fill their baskets. It really is a lot of food. This particular week we had a lot of chicken, 20 lbs of frozen breasts, 10 lbs of chicken fingers, 8 really nice filets wrapped in bacon, 20 lbs. of potatoes, a large bag of frozen vegetables, a bag of onions, ketchup, mustard, dressing, hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, pasta, eggs, soup, pudding, desert and a lot of other stuff I can't really remember, all for $25.00. And they can order extras. Don't you just love it.
Here's the Franklin Courthouse which I stopped to photo when we drove through town one evening. I don't know why I got the photo so crooked, but I always liked this building. It houses my birth certificate, but I believe Pat's got destroyed in a fire. Hopefully they have it on microfilm or something, somewhere. I only just found this out.

Well, I'm going to finish this for now and will try to write again. I'm glad to say Duncan is feeling better as is Thom and they are taking longer walks these days. I've put Zoe's walks on hold for a while as they seem to tire her out too much these days. Hopefully we can get back at it real soon. More later you can be sure.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home