THE AUNTS
Whenever "The Aunts" would get together, which they seem to have done quite often, they would tend to sit around the kitchen table telling stories and arguing about things that happened a long time ago. We would always manage to make our exits, as we were young enough then not to want to listen to their stories. As I got older I wish I would have stayed to listen more. My cousin Thom and I were the same age and more like brother and sister than cousins and had formed our own special bond. We would leave and go to the movies or to one of the dances held on weekends or anywhere else. When we returned, from whereever it was we were, "The Aunts" would still be at it and our return seemed to trigger the end to their afternoons together. They would by then have gotten pretty silly and would be giggling like teenagers. As I grew older, I tend to cherish these moments more and more and wish we would have listened to what they had to offer us.
"The Aunts" as we affectionately referred to them were, my mother Dorothy, Aunt Mary, Aunt Ethel, and Aunt Lois. Aunt Lois is the last aunt and sibling to survive and my sisters and I have taken their place as "The Aunts".

Dorothy and Mary (Shirley's mom)

Dorothy and Lois (Thom's mom)
This all came about one snowy afternoon when my sisters Pat and Jean and I were playing Jeopardy on the computer at Jean's house. We were getting pretty silly and talking about "The Aunts" and the way they would act up and how they were all gone now but one. Our dear Aunt Lois. Jean interupted us with an epiphany. "Guess what" she said. "We are now the aunts". We all had a good laugh, but the name seems to have stuck. We were six siblings once; two brothers and four sisters. There were only 3 of us remaining at that time. Pat, Jean and myself.

Pat, (Pat's son Greg) myself and Jean
Now we are two plus one; Pat, Sally (our new sister) and myself.Me, Pat, and Sally
We continue to be known as "The Aunts" and I kind of like it. We find ourselves recounting the old days and giggling a lot. I wonder what the nieces and nephews think of us? Three silly old women I imagine.
I am of the opinion that the reason "The Aunts" families became so much closer than that of the uncles, is because of the special bond between sisters. They tend to remain closer than with their brothers, and their families are linked. I knew all of my aunts kids well and hardly none of my uncles kids. I know of them but we are not close.
Whenever I think of "The Aunts" I smile and remember how sweet they were with all their faults. I loved when they got together. I imagine they are all sitting around a kitchen table somewhere acting silly and giggling a lot. This is but one of the fond memories I have of "The Aunts".
That's all for now. Wishing you all fond memories.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home